[aaloa promoters] Java related discussions

Francesco Furfari francesco.furfari at isti.cnr.it
Sun Nov 21 19:17:10 CET 2010

  Jesus,

in my opinion it is enough simple to say that ASF is right,  and the
behaviour of Sun/Oracle undermines all the Java community process.
If you see the old voting on Java 6,  many partners like IBM, RedHat and
Intel agreed on the position of ASF.

But now, what is not clear to me are the moves mainly at IBM and  then
Eclipse. With my limited understanding of the strategies of the big
players, I could interpret the events  as Oracle was afraid of the
parallel market opened by Google/Android. Harmony project was used
mainly by Android project and they built a non standard JVM, so this
could be the "undisclosed" truth , they want to have control on the java
specification and ASL2.0 is too permissive.  However the point is that
the same problems of Harmony there will be with the OpenJDK project,
that is GPL based.   What does Oracle think to do with OpenJDK? if they
provide a TCK  license without the restriction imposed to ASF for the
embedded system, then it is clear that  it is a war against ASF or their
license model.

I cannot explain the move of IBM to OpenJDK otherwise. They rethought
their licensing policy ...

In the justification of the Eclipse vote they said: "If Java does not
start to progress as a platform, it will die."
I fear that if they slow down the spread of Java on embedded systems,
then Android or even other languages will prevail.
.... and embedded systems are at the core of any AmI scenario  :-(

By the way I'm not optimist like Stephen Colebourne about the results of
the vote.
In the end many will vote on the technical merits of the JSR.

Francesco