[aaloa promoters] [Vote] Call for Vote on a project proposal: ZigBee 4 OSGI

Francesco Furfari francesco.furfari at isti.cnr.it
Sun Dec 19 16:32:46 CET 2010

  Jesus,

in the project proposal we say that ZigBee covers many application
domains very useful for AAL related project, but we don't mean that
ZigBee must be the reference technology for AAL applications.
We are aware that there are many competing solutions, IP6LowPan,
Wireless HART,  or UPnP, DPWS ....
With respect to the AALOA mission, this project can be considered one of
the many  building blocks that may be integrated in a reference platform
for AAL.
It is an outcome of the  PERSONA project, but it is released without the
"peculiarities" of the PERSONA project, so that it is a generic solution
that can be integrated in the AAL/AmI platform you like.

I didn't understand your last example. In theory ZigBee networks can
contains 65.000 nodes, enough for the smart environments we are
addressing, but I guess you was thinking to a different use case.
The scalability issues in my mind are that ones related to the remote
management of thousand of devices; a control center that has to remotely
manage many smart home installations, the remote upgrade of the
software/firmware installed in such environments, and so on   ... but
IMO the problems are not on the ZigBee side.

Francesco