[aaloa promoters] Proposed "A" text for Passau

Joe Gorman Joe.Gorman at sintef.no
Wed Nov 3 15:30:06 CET 2010

Dear all,

Here is the text I referred to in my previous message, as a proposal for the text on this:

The OpenURC and AALOA initiatives, having been engaged in discussions about the scope of their proposed activities, agree that:

(1) As an initiative for the building of an open source accessibility framework, OpenURC will be primarily concerned with the promotion of personalised and accessible user interfaces. This involves discovery of devices and targets, and flexible deployment and management of adaptors.  The availability of suitable standards for device descriptions and user interface description will be of key importance.

(2)  As an initiative for the building an open source service framework, AALOA will be primarily concerned with support for ambient awareness and the flexible deployment and management of assisted living services. The availability of suitable standards allowing services to interact with ambient environments will be of key importance.

(3) Both initiatives consider standardisation important, and intend to use existing standards, and possibly contribute to their evolution, where possible.  Development of new standards is also within the scope of our activities.

(4) It is to our mutual benefit to plan that such features and specifications that are developed are compatible, so that OpenURC-based platforms can integrate AALOA components, and AALOA-based platforms can integrate OpenURC-based components.

(5) We will enter into discussions in order to work towards a common architecture.

Does this sum up the situation clearly and correctly?

JOE